Monday, July 18, 2011

IT ALL ENDED...


Friday night, with great anticipation I sat myself down to watch the final chapter of the Harry Potter movies, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. I was a bit worried that the movie might not get it right as the epic ending contains some of my favourite moments of all seven books. In hindsight I had nothing to worry about. It is with delight that I can say the movie does the book perfect justice!

At the outset it must be stated that the 3D was beautifully done! It was smooth and clear, the best I’ve ever seen, and a joy to experience. The scene in Gringotts was brilliantly done, as was the final battle at Hogwarts. Very impressive!

To me, the acting in this last installment was also the best it’s ever been. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson perfectly captured Harry, Ron and Hermione’s deep friendship, their intense protectiveness of each other, and their ultimate lifelong bond. Helena Bonham-Carter was again perfect as Bellatrix, even more so as Hermione as Bellatrix (loved those scenes!), and Maggie Smith delightfully reminded me why Professor McGonnagal was always my favourite teacher at Hogwarts – totally stole the show in her scenes!

I loved the several nice touches that made saying goodbye a little bittersweet: I loved the flashback to Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone reminding us how the cast looked when it all started ten years ago; I loved seeing Harry, Ron and Hermione drink butterbeer in Hogsmeade one last time; I loved seeing the remaining members of the Order of the Phoenix, and the DA (Dumbledore’s Army) welcoming Harry, Ron and Hermione back with open arms after a year’s absence from Hogwarts; I loved the excitement of all the portraits when Harry walked back into the castle; I loved Filch running around with his cat, shouting his trademark “Students out of bed!”. I loved getting one last glimpse of Platform 9 ¾ and the Marauders’ map, and I especially enjoyed watching Neville finally become the hero he never knew he was.

The movie had humour, suspense and mystery, and as the book lovers know we lost some of our favourite characters this time around. It was heartbreaking seeing these wonderful characters we have come to love die, but there is some comfort in the fact that it was for a good cause.

Overall, I have no complaints! I think the movie got it absolutely right and I wouldn’t change a thing… well, when Ron and Hermione finally kiss after hiding their feelings for each other for seven long years, I might have liked to see a bit more of their faces, to be honest. It was almost as if they were only pretend kissing. The film makers might have made that moment just a little more special, but in the great scheme of things the scene doesn’t really take away from the movie, and Ron and Hermione’s awkward laughing after the fact makes up for it. As does Ron’s shouting “That’s my girlfriend, you numpties!” at Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle shortly after.

For the first time in my life I was party to an entire theater erupting with cheers and applause as end credits started rolling. And yeah, I was cheering too... on the inside :)

And so it all ended. Thank you J.K Rowling for the wonderful world you created and the wonderful friends you brought into our lives. Goodbye Harry Potter!

…Until I start reading the series again, anyway :)

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I still need to see this. It took me so long to be able to go from the books to the films, but I was very impressed with the first part of the Deathly Hallows. You've made me want to see it even more now, I cannot wait until it comes out on DVD :-)

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Twitter

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...